Non-Immigrant Aliens and Foreigners:
How to get a Texas Handgun License (License To Carry)
(Does not apply to Green Card holders)
Reference: Types of Visas
These instructions are valid both for legally buying a gun, and for getting a handgun license.
Note: in order to get the handgun license, you have to already know how to load and shoot a pistol,
and be prepared to take a shooting Proficiency test to prove it.
If you do not know how to shoot, register for "Learn to Shoot" first.
If you have a valid visa, have been in Texas for more than 3 months, have a Social Security number,
and can read English sufficiently to take a written test over firearms law:
After successful completion of that class, you will need to submit the
following documents to DPS in Austin:
- Apply to the state for a Texas Driver's License.
- Go to any store that sells hunting licenses, and buy the one-year "General License".
- Apply to DPS for the License To Carry, and schedule fingerprinting.
- Register for the required training class (LTC class).
Submit all documents to DPS by mail or upload, and wait. It takes several weeks.
- LTC-100 Certificate of Training (suplied by us).
- A copy of the visa page in your passport.
- A copy of your I-94 form, received when you arrived in the U.S.
- A copy of your Hunter's License.
McKinney CHL/LTC Handgun License Classes serving McKinney, Allen, Frisco, Plano, Prosper, Princeton, Anna, Melissa, Collin County Texas
Learn to Shoot |
Choosing a Pistol |
CHL Class |
CHL Eligibility |
Ladies Classes |
Pistol Classes |
Class Schedule |
Gun Links |