Non-Immigrant Aliens and Foreigners:
How to get a Texas Handgun License
(License To Carry)
(Does not apply to Green Card holders)
Reference: Types of Visas
These instructions are valid both for legally buying a gun, and for getting a handgun license. NOTE: in order to get the handgun license, you have to already know how to load and shoot a pistol, and be prepared to take a shooting Proficiency test to prove it.
If you do not know how to shoot, register for "Learn to Shoot" first.
If you have a valid visa, have been in Texas for more than 3 months, have a Social Security number, and can read English sufficiently to take a written test over firearms law:
- Apply to the state for a Texas Driver's License.
- Go to any store that sells hunting licenses, and buy the one-year "General License".
- Apply to DPS for the License To Carry, and schedule fingerprinting. https://txapps.texas.gov/txapp/txdps/chl/
- Register for the required training class (LTC class). Class Schedule
- CHL-100 Certificate of Training (suplied by us).
- A copy of the visa page in your passport.
- A copy of your I-94 form, received when you arrived in the U.S.
- A copy of your Hunter's License.