Texas License to Carry Classes
The state-mandated course required to obtain a Texas License to Carry. The class covers
1. handgun safety
2. the Texas Penal Code
3. the Government Code
4. restrictions on concealed/open carry
5. use of deadly force
6. legal responsibilities
7. conflict resolution
8. handgun storage
9. other topics
There is a written test and a shooting proficiency test. Also required, separately, are a background check and fingerprinting. We will guide you through the entire process.
Length: 4 hrs + range time
Private class: our private classroom/range complex NE of McKinney
Cost: $100.00 + $75.00/person
About the LTC process
1. Know how to shoot already, and own a gun, .32 cal or larger. You should know how to safely handle a gun, and load and unload it. You will be tested on basic shooting skills. I can teach a beginner enough in one session to pass the Proficiency test, but you won't learn that in the LTC class.
2. Visit the Department of Public Safety website to start the application process and pay your fee (do not do this on any device without a printer attached). There are several types of discounts applicable to the state fee. If you qualify for any, you may have to submit other documentation.
3. As you finish the application, you will be shown a page with a bar code, and also a checklist of items to send in. Print these.
4. Also, at that time, you will be given the option of scheduling fingerprints. Do that at this time. It is inexpensive ($10.00) and quick (computerized), and there are several convenient places to have it done.
5. Sign up for the license training class. When the class is finished, the instructor will give you a signed form CHL-100. Put into a large manila envelope the bar code, the CHL-100, and any items of supporting documentation listed on your checklist, and send it all to the DPS.
6. Wait. The average time is three weeks. They process about 2000 each month.
Submit your email for notices of upcoming classes. Opt out any time. Addresses are purged after 120 days.